Just Sayin' DaPoPo Style

DaPoPo is an independent theatre company operating out of Halifax, NS. DaPoPo has been invited to participate in the "Just Say It! 2006" Festival at the FEZ Berlin in November 2006. This is a look inside the process of creating and touring a new show with DaPoPo.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

You Want Me to What?

So, a couple of days ago, the boyz and I found ourselves alone together after one of our Fringe show performances. I suggested we catch a show together or get a drink and Garry said, "Maybe we should talk about November." Oh, right! November.

So we headed to Uncommon Grounds on Argyle (UnCommon Grounds) for a cuppa-cuppa. I had the Numi Lemongrass tea, yum yum; Eric had coffee. Have we established that Eric loves coffee yet? I think Garry had coffee too and Shtev had tea? Or maybe the other way around. Not important, really.

We sat at the sidewalk cafe under an overcast sky. A November sky? I let my thoughts meander about November skies in Berlin and how cold it might be then and which coat...

What? Oh, yes. That show we're creating. Right. Globalization. Transatlantic prejudice. And the... Apocalypse? Yes. He said apocalypse.

Woohoo... heavy but tasty. Lots of grist for the mill as it were. Random thoughts about "Einstein's Dreams" (Review), how people treat people, attitudes about life, the world, living and ending. It's a bit of a blur now but it was all pretty exciting.

So then, Garry casually asks how we all would feel about doing it as a musical. Both he and Eric are amazing vocalists with great musical abilities. Shtev says he's game though he warned us of some potential "pitch problems" which he is certain a skilled singing coach will be able to smooth out.

Happy coincidence, Garry happens to be a skilled singing coach.

And then there's me. Ah, me. Musical theatre. Oy. I have...erm... some issues. I mean, I enjoy singing and I can riff off a bar or two or belt out a part of a song just for fun and feel pretty confident. And most of the time it sounds and feels good. But only when it isn't serious. So when it's serious? Well, it takes the wind right out of my lungs, almost literally.

Therefore, my response to Garry's oh-so-casual-he-knows-damn-well-what-I-feel query was, shall we say, measured.

"Well, Garry," I start, "If that is the way the project goes, then I will certainly go with it. But! As you know, that's out of my comfort zone."

And he laughs, the kind of laugh that is the physical equivalent of mussing someone's hair affectionately, and says, "Kim, when have you ever been in your comfort zone with DaPoPo?"

And it's true. Each project has presented new challenges for me, so why should this one be any different?

Life lesson: I learned to downhill ski at the ripe old age of 13. My cousins learned earlier than me and were much more advanced and more daring. If I didn't want to ski alone, I had to go with them come hell or high moguls. I never would have pushed myself from green to blue to black trails by myself. And if I hadn't had that push I never would have become a better skiier.

So, OK. Bring it on! La la la la la la!!!!

And God save us all!(She says smiling and shaking her head)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home